SUCCESSFUL CERTIFIED ORGANIC FARM FOR SALE
After 9 successful years on this beautiful land, we have purchased another farm 5 miles away that will allow us to quadruple our production. Our current 12 acre certified organic farm is for sale. Buy this turnkey farm and renovated farmhouse now and you will be able to start planting and selling this spring!
THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS
The setting for this house and farm are beautiful. The soil is productive. The markets are accessible. The community is vibrant and growing.
You could grow….. specialty vegetables, fruit, culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, microgreens, flowers, nursery plants(vegetable and ornamental), mushrooms, bees, pigs, goats, chickens, lamb.
You could market your products to….. 10+ farmers markets that are within 40 miles, local stores and restaurants that are looking for local product, local distribution companies, New York City (retail and wholesale), online.
You could make a living….. farming full time, or farm part-time and work off the farm, or come for weekends and lease out the farm.
We love this house and this land. We hope you will too.
The property is located at 25 Stone House Rd, Damascus, PA, 18415 (Wayne County). We are:
2 miles from the Delaware River (as the eagle flies)
4 miles west of Callicoon, NY
19 miles northeast of Honesdale, PA
120 miles northwest of New York City
The Delaware Highlands is where the western Catskill Mountains and the Pocono Mountains cascade down into the Upper Delaware River Valley. The topography is dominated by rivers, streams, lakes, and hills. Occasionally you will find flat fields in the valleys, one of which is available for you to pursue your farming dreams. The community includes both sides of the Delaware River and includes Wayne County, PA and Sullivan County, NY. The heritage of this area is timber, blue stone, farming, and tourism.
The farm includes 12 certified organic acres (certified organic by NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC since 2010) which includes the following:
- 4 acres Holly Silt Loam, flat
This land includes greenhouses and barn. Tilled fields comprise about 3 acres. This entire field is fenced with 8 foot tall high tensile woven wire fencing and locust posts- 100% effective deer exclusion.
- 3 acres wetland and wildlife area
It’s great to have a wild space next to the cultivated farm for biodiversity. One section of this land has been pre-approved by the US Army Corps of Engineers for a future pond (pond site is surveyed)
- 4 acres Wellsboro Channery Loam, sloping
This land is behind the house and it is a perfect pasture
- 1 acre, flat and sloping
This includes the house, 1 barn, kitchen garden, perennial flower garden and fruit trees.
Included in the sale are 4 unheated greenhouses covering 9,200 sqaure feet : 2- 30’ x 96’ with roll up sides, 1-21’ x 96’ with roll up sides, 1- 20’ x 75’. The greenhouses are in good shape, they all have overhead irrigation, and they have helped tremendously with increased production.
These established crops will be ready for you to harvest-
- Outisde Herbs- chives, sorrel, peppermint, mojito mint, French tarragon
- Inside Herbs (in the 21’ greenhouse)- sage, rosemary, French tarragon, thyme, oregano
- Flowers (lilac, hydrangea, butterfly weed, yarrow, lupine, rudbeckia, iris)
40’ x 30’ modified post and beam barn custom built in 2009
- 8’ x 18’ walk-in cooler (new refrigeration in 2014)
- 8’ x 20’ insulated truck body retrofitted as a 2 temperature zone walk-in cooler
- Washing and packing area
- Workshop, farm break room/kitchen, tool storage, and storage loft
- 200 amp electrical service on separate meter from the house
- Tractor shed and storage shed next to the barn
- Composting toilet
- Excellent water well with clean water, high volume (50 gallons per minute and a 3hp pump), and large pressure tank (250 gal) to allow for produce washing and drip irrigation.
25’ x 25’ post and beam barn built in c. 1900
- 2 lower sections, plus a full loft.
- Lumber storage rack on exterior
- Extensive restoration in 2012 to repair sills, posts, and some siding.
- Excellent layout for drying crops (onions, garlic, flowers, etc)
Restored Farmhouse built c. 1900 with 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, office/bedroom, guest room, attic, basement, root cellar, front porch, patio, and a wood shed. Landscaped yard includes a kitchen garden, flower gardens, apple, pear, and peach trees.
- All wiring and plumbing updated in 1999
- Oil furnace and wood stove
- Water well and electric hot water heater
- 1.5 bathrooms
- New roof and seamless gutters in 2015
- Painted fall of 2017
- Kitchen completely renovated in 2015- butcher block and bluestone counters, cherry cabinets, appliances (fridge, dishwasher, propane stove/oven) , hardwood floors.
- Washer and dryer
- Move right in!
The farm is split between 2 parcels. Both parcels are currently enrolled in Pennsylvania’s agricultural tax abatement program (Clean and Green). Total annual taxes for 2016 for both parcels was $2,224.
Click here for property information: